Guidance on working with communities and voluntary participants:
- Ensure that the voice of the community informs the creative process.
- Build a partnership based on mutual respect between professional craft and community experience.
- Say something important about the time we live in – respect your audience and engage people in art that matters.
- Ensure that participants gain a deeper understanding of the subject matter as well as the artistic and technical processes.
- Use the community as the starting point for research to ensure an authentic representation.
- Have an open access policy i.e. include anybody who would like to be involved. Be conscious of the barriers to participation and design projects to overcome them by ensuring that individual access requirements are met and support offered to allow each person to participate fully.
- Deliver the best possible product through the best possible process. People’s enjoyment and satisfaction is enhanced by a high quality production.
- Constantly learn – refine and adapt your model – there is no right way.